Saturday, October 6, 2007

2 - Jobs + Polar bear

As I mentioned in my previous entry, I'm currently working with a small, local editing house. They focus their publishing mainly on children's book. As a full project they have only published an illustrated Bible for kids, and are currently working on an illustrated fable compilation, in which I'll participate.
The first book I worked in for them was a fable based on a pretty old one, called commonly "The stork and the wolf". The story tells that a wolf was wandering around the forest with a bone stuck in his troath. He was gasping for air and could barely make his efforts to seek help. Later, the wolf came across a stork, to whom he asked for help. The stork was about to deny, but the wolf told her she "would get something no other animal in the forest ever had". The stork, blinded by curiosity and ambition, helped the wolf by removing the bone with it's long neck, but the wolf walked away without giving her anything. The stork yelled at him that she deserved something, as she had done the wolf a favor, to which he replied "a favor's not a faovr is something in return is expected".
Well that was the fable, only, instead of the stork and the wolf, the editors decided to use dinosaurs because almost every fable had something to do with a wolf. So yeah, it was a 16 page long book that told the same story, only with a T-rex and a Pterosaur, and some other dinosaurs who mocked the T-rex in his misfortune.

Anyways, I'm currently working on another book for them, this time an adaptation of the tale of Johnny, the boy who cried "wolf!", only this time with cute harp seals and a polar bear.
...Yeah I know.
So here's a sketch I did of the polar bear, who is of course replacing the wolf. I had a hard time getting used to them because I don't tend to draw animals.
Good thing I'm being forced to learn with this editing house, hahaha.



Sorry for small image and terrible outlines.
Cheers!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

that polar bear is gorgeous

Miquixtli said...

http://inklingstudio.typepad.com/chronicles/images/2007/12/15/glenk_bear.jpg yai!

Anonymous said...

Hi i think that is awesme!!!!!

MIKE said...

I have a date set on December 12th..
I'm getting that polar bear tattooed on my back.
My WHOLE back.

Anonymous said...

thats a good picture for my girlfriend tattoo.